Disabled individuals often encounter difficulties on the road. Fortunately, Utah disabled driving laws offer helpful resources. The Utah Division of Motor Vehicles provides parking permits to people with qualifying disabilities. These permits include temporary and permanent placards, permanent license plates, and institutional placards for organizations. Summit Disability Law Group is dedicated to educating disabled Utahns about their rights. This post breaks down the regulations surrounding these permits and how they can help you!
Utah Disabled Driving Laws: License Plates and Placards
You must apply for a disability placard or license plate. You can submit your application by mail, or in-person at your local Utah DMV office.
- How to Apply
Whether submitting by mail or in-person, you must include the following items:
- The Disabled Person and Physician Disability Certification (Form TC-842).
- Your doctor must complete and sign the form’s certification section.
- Disability care centers can also apply for placards and license plates using this form.
- Placards are free, and license plates are $16. If you apply by mail, include $4 for shipping.
Where to Submit Your License Plate or Placard Application
- Mailing Address if Applying by Mail
Division of Motor Vehicles
Mail and Correspondence
P.O. Box 30412
Salt Lake City, UT 84130
- Local Utah DMV Offices if Applying In-Person
At the website DMV.org, you can search for your closest DMV office. Here are a few nearby locations.
Salt Lake City
380 West 2880 South
Salt Lake City, UT, 84415
2780 West 4700 South
Salt Lake City, UT, 84129
14555 South Minuteman Drive 50 East
Draper, UT, 84020
How to Renew Your Disability Placard or Plate
When your disability placard or plate expires, Utah disabled driving laws require you to renew it.
- Temporary placards are valid for 6 months, and cannot be renewed. However if you still need it, you can apply for a new one by filling out the certification form again.
- Permanent placards are valid for 2 years. Your local DMV office can instruct you specifically how to renew it.
- Disability license plates can be renewed with your vehicle registration.
Summit Disability Law Group
At Summit Disability Law Group, we understand the difficulties of receiving disability benefits. It is easy to get stuck in the process of applying for different permits and benefits. For this reason, we dedicate our practice to helping disabled Utahns win Social Security disability benefits. If you are seeking these benefits and need help, please contact us today!
Another resource that we offer is The Utah Social Security Disability Handbook. This book explains the disability claims process in plain English. Order your free book today by clicking on the title above! If you have questions about disability law, we can help you. No one will work harder to win you benefits than Summit Disability Law Group.