Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, helps disabled individuals support themselves when they cannot work. These benefits make a huge difference in the lives of those who receive them. The application process for these benefits can be confusing, and you may wonder if you are including all the right information. Claimants who try to file their application alone often overlook important details, which is why we help people seeking disability benefits. At Summit Disability Law Group, we are dedicated to providing the most effective legal help available. This post outlines the most important SSDI application documents you need in order to file your strongest claim.
Essential SSDI Application Documents
The documents and information that you need to include in your SSDI application include:
- Your personal Social Security number
- A certified, original copy of your birth certificate. If you are an immigrant or were born outside of the United States, you will also need to provide proof of citizenship or legal residency.
- A certified, original copy of any military discharge papers, if applicable.
- A W-2 form or federal income tax return from the previous year.
- Direct deposit numbers from your bank, in order to receive benefits automatically.
- Information about any previous worker’s compensation claims
As part of your SSDI application, you will also fill out an Adult Disability Report. You need to include the following:
- Personal contact information of someone familiar with your condition who can support your claim.
- Information about your condition, treatment, and doctors.
- Medical tests (types and dates, and the doctors who requested them)
- Prescription medicines
- Medical records
- Work history (up to five jobs that you have held in the past 15 years).
The Social Security Administration allows you to save and return to your application if you do it online. This way, you do not have to enter everything at once. You can work on your application as you have time.
A huge part of our job is to help our clients compile their SSDI application documents and file a strong initial claim. If this claim is denied, as many are, we will help you appeal the decision. Many appeals are successful.
Experienced and Helpful Disability Lawyers
Our lawyers are committed to helping their clients win disability benefits. We see the tremendous difference these benefits make in people’s lives. Because of this, we are passionate about helping deserving claimants experience that themselves. If you have questions about the application process, request a free copy of our book, The Utah Social Security Disability Handbook. Then, contact our office or fill out the free consultation form on this page. This book and the advice of our lawyers will help you get started on constructing a successful SSDI application.
Our work is very important to us. Getting our clients the benefits they need is our top priority. If you are planning to apply for disability benefits, we hope to be able to help in some way.