Many people are surprised and upset when their disability claim is denied. Too often, they give up or do not take the disability appeals process seriously. This is a serious mistake! Don’t give up — file an appeal. It is still possible to get the benefits you need. Here are some of the basics of an appeal:
What to Know about the Disability Appeals Process
The disability appeals process may include:
- Completing the “Request for Reconsideration” form after being denied the first time.
- This form allows you to update any relevant information and resubmit your application. An experienced disability attorney can help you improve your claim and make any necessary changes.
- Filing a hearing request after being denied a second time.
- If your request for reconsideration is denied, you may request a hearing before an administrative law judge. Three rounds of applications may seem like a lot of work, but it is often worth it. Many applications that go to hearings are accepted — even after being denied twice before.
Some important things to remember during the disability appeals process:
- Don’t exaggerate your past work
- Be honest with your doctor and the Social Security Administration
- Continue to get medical treatment
- Document everything
- Be patient and don’t give up!
The disability attorneys at Summit Disability Law Group can help you win your claim. We will communicate with doctors, make sure that the correct paperwork is filed, and provide answers to the SSA’s toughest questions. On top of that, our office works on a contingency-fee basis, which means that you won’t pay us anything until we win your case.
We truly want to help you get you the benefits you deserve. Social Security disability benefits exist to help you, and we can help you prove that you deserve them. Contact us today for a free consultation.